MotherWit Doula Care is pleased to present a comprehensive training in Holistic Postpartum Doula Care.
In a culture that puts a lot of pressure on new mothers to live up to the mythical image of SuperMom, a MotherWit Postpartum Doula has the power to bring a sane, calm perspective. We believe in nurturing the new mother so all she has to do in the precious few weeks after birth is focus on her new baby/babies and her loved ones.
Full healing of everything a woman has gone through during the childbearing year requires some space and reflection. By providing opportunities for rest and proper physical and emotional nourishment, the MotherWit Certified Postpartum Doula creates a special space within which a woman who has just given birth and her partner can heal and come into their own power as a mother and father. We like to call this space the BabyMoon.
At MotherWit Doula Training we focus on nurturing
and facilitating the development of our students, so they may confidently bring their own unique, beautiful qualities
to their work with new families.
Some of the things covered in this 4 day/32 hour workshop:
– Deep, active listening,
– Non-judgmental support
– Breastfeeding support basics
– Newborn care and feeding
– Massage for new mothers
– Home organization for new families
– Postpartum recovery and care
– and so much more.
EARLY BIRD PRICING IS ON UNTIL OCTOBER 10! <——— Save $75!
Early bird tickets are $175+GST
After Oct. 10, tickets are $250+GST
May 1 at 5pm until May 3 at 1pm , 2020.
This event is taking place at Camp Capilano – 4077 Capilano Park Rd, North Vancouver, BC V7R 4L2
Two nights accommodations (in bunk beds in dorms) is included with the ticket price. Sleeping over is optional, but choosing not to sleep over does not affect the ticket price.
Food will be done by potluck (organized closer to the event).
This year’s speakers are Lesley Everest and local legend Patti Thompson!
To learn more about this year’s speakers, please visit their websites:
In addition to learning from these great speakers, we will also to be able to enjoy the amenities and surroundings of Camp Capilano – hiking, swimming in the pool (it’s warm!), camp fires, and sitting by the fireplace with your favourite cup while creating community and connecting with other doulas.
-September 11 at 2pm to September 13 at 5pm at Five Oaks Centre-
Did you enjoy Whapio Diane Bartlett’s presentations during the 2019 retreat? Here is an invitation to dive deeper, explore the holistic stages of birth, ask your questions, and so much more.
This event is being held at Five Oaks, but not in the Summer Centre this time. This time we will be in the Chalet (the Red building next to the Summer Centre). It is still bunk beds, but it is fully carpeted and winterized with indoor washrooms (yay!). Food will still be potluck.
This event is going to be a bit more intimate – there are only 25 tickets total!
We will be starting a bit earlier in the day on Friday (and hopefully avoid rush hour!) and end a bit later on the Sunday to allow more time to discuss, learn, and also take in the beautiful surroundings of the Five Oaks Centre and spend time with each other.
Participants will receive a certificate of hours studied in Holistic Birth from The Matrona.
1. Secure your spot with a non-refundable $50+HST deposit now, and pay the balance of $300+HST by July 1. ($350+HST total)
2. Pay in full now ($325+HST) <—- Save $25!
*** Please note, the $100 + GST is a DEPOSIT to hold your spot. The remaining $650+GST is due July 1, 2020.
This event will be held in North Vancouver or West Vancouver. The venue will be determined mid-July. It is a 4-day training 9:30-5:30 each day.
At The Matrona, we believe that childbirth is a transformative event and pregnant women have access to altered states of consciousness that allow them to have an expanded perspective of life and of themselves.
This culminates in the birthing process.
We realize that many women desire to be witnessed, rather than managed, in this extraordinary experience. In our Matrona Doula Program we put a different spin on what it really means to support and witness a woman and we explore what it means to nurture a mom during her childbearing cycle.
The Matrona Holistic Birth Doula program is comprehensive in it’s scope.
We teach a practical and well rounded body of information about childbirth…
all the basics…yet the material is presented holistically and
with a balance of the intuitive and the clinical.
You will learn –
• Feminine A&P, the pelvis, the hormones of the reproductive system and the female cycles.
• How to compute the correct date of birth.
• How to understand birth as an organic process and how to support a mother’s choices in various places…home, hospital, birthing center.
• How to articulate and navigate through the cultural perspectives concerning birth.
• How to nurture a pregnant woman.
• How the baby navigates the pelvis during the process of labor
• How labor unfolds without interference and how to facilitate women in that process.
• Options in childbirth…choosing caregivers, waterbirth, positions for delivery
• Understanding the cervix…dilation and effacement, cervical lips, ruffling the membranes, Bishop’s score for induction.
• How to understand some of the controversial topics in childbirth…ultrasound, induction of labor, rupture of membranes,
Group Beta strep, cord clamping, neonatal jaundice…
• How to employ healing modalities that facilitate self-direction in mothers and families.
• How to tend placentas and offer Placenta Readings.
• How to create win/win and collaborative solutions when things do not go as planned.
• How to present yourself as a doula in the community and how to integrate your practice of woman care with the knowledge of birth.
We offer a family-centered perspective on birth and we expand the mainstream information found in many of the available books on childbirth.
We also explore some mind-blowing facts such as –
• Why and how women are the ancestral sex and exactly how fertilization takes places as a team event.
• The brain wave states and patterns of altered states of consciousness that are part of every childbirth experience.
• The journey of birth in a new language that represents childbirth as the mystical and transformative journey that it is.
Our entire class is dedicated to the exploration of the experience of childbirth and it’s ramifications on the soul and spirit as well as on the body.
The cost of the 4-day program is $750CAD (approximately $580USD).
Certification requirement are easy and simple and involve no other costs than the $750CAD for the 4-day program.
We offer immediate certification to anyone who attends the 4 days, does the
requisite reading and who has either birthed a child or attended births.
If you have not attended birth in any capacity, we ask that you take steps in your
community to shadow a doula or attend a few births for certification.
Introductions – Hand-outs – Scope of the Class – Certification Requirements
The Role of the Holistic Doula and her Scope of Practice
Models of Care – Technocratic to Quantum
Quantum Caregiving and Creating Soul-level Connections
The Importance of the Correct EBD (Estimated Date of Birth)
The Endocrine System: Hormones as Messengers
Reproductive and Birthing Hormones
Birth as an Altered State
The Caregivers Spiral
Ideas not Ideologies in Childbirth
Brain Wave Patterns and the Neurological Perspective on Childbirth
The Circle of Nurturing and the Caregivers Greatest Gift
Emerging as a Doula: Creating a Brochure, Creating a Lifestyle
The Journey Begins: Understanding Conception and Reproductive Cycles
Women as the Ancestral Sex
Undisturbed Birth and the Work of Michel Odent
The Birth Atlas: Understanding the Uterus, Cervix and Dilation & Effacement
Cardinal Movements of Labor: How the Baby Navigates the Pelvis
The Holistic Stages of Labor: A New Language for a New Paradigm
The Work of Constance Benyon: The Two Stages of Second Stage
Vertical Birth…even in a hospital
Non-invasive strategies for checking the progress of labor
Checking the cervix on the foot!
Facilitating and supporting a Woman in Labor
Non-pharmacological Strategies for Pain Relief
When Labor does not go as planned
Understanding Position and Posterior Presentation
Navigating Controversial Topics in Childbirth
Who’s in Charge of the Birth?
Techniques for Collaboration and Creating Win/Win solutions
Placenta Medicine…Placenta Readings